When you experience foot pain, you might be tempted to ignore it. That’s a bad idea. Foot pain can grow worse over time, leading to loss of mobility and a less active life. A much better idea is to visit your podiatrist, who is an expert at diagnosis, management, and treatment of foot pain. Your podiatrist can help you get back on your feet again.
So, what causes foot pain? It turns out there are several factors which can lead to foot pain, including:
Trauma to your feet or ankles – leading to bruising, swelling, torn ligaments and tendons, and broken bones.
Stress and strain on your feet from overuse – leading to arch, heel, and joint pain.
Age-related changes like arthritis – leading to joint pain, swelling, and loss of flexibility.
Medical conditions like diabetes – leading to peripheral neuropathy, numbness, and lack of blood flow.
Plantar fasciitis – leading to moderate to severe heel pain and pain on the side of your foot.
Flat feet – which can lead to arch pain and overall foot pain.
Your podiatrist can prescribe a wide variety of medical treatments and services to help you get relief from foot pain. These are just a few of the services your podiatrist can provide:
- Custom made orthotics to treat flat feet, peripheral neuropathy, and other foot conditions
- Prescription strength anti-inflammatory medication to treat swelling and pain
- Corticosteroid injections to relieve pain and swelling in joints and other areas of your feet
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment (ESWT) to treat plantar fasciitis and heel pain
- Gait evaluation to relieve foot pain caused by gait problems
- Physical therapy to help restore flexibility and mobility
- Surgical treatment to repair fractured or broken bones, or torn ligaments and tendons
You don’t have to suffer from foot pain when help is just a phone call away. To find out more about the causes of foot pain and how your podiatrist can help you find relief, talk with an expert. Call your podiatrist today.